Ealing 020 8567 4597
Osterley 020 8758 0400
Whitton 020 8755 3144

Flying your pets abroad

Flying your pets abroad can seem like a really daunting task and the preparation can seem overwhelming. There are lots of documents to fill in and regulations that you must comply to, and different countries will have their own unique entry requirements. 

That’s why we’re delighted to announce that we’ve teamed up with PetAir UK, a unique pet air travel service run by specialised, fully qualified vets for ultimate peace of mind. They are the leading pet exporters in the industry and operate to highest welfare standards internationally. They can transport your pets safely and comfortably, anywhere in the world. 

Complemented by a dedicated team of animal healthcare professionals, PetAir UK specializes in safely and correctly exporting and importing pets throughout the world. They offer a complete stress-free service, working with your IVC Evidensia practice to provide flights, crates, vet work, permit applications and can even arrange pick-up and delivery door to door.

PetAir works with many UK and international airports that export and import pets including Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester Airport and Edinburgh Airport. If you are interested in using their service please visit www.petairuk.com.

How do I take my pets abroad with me?

To travel abroad, your pets will need to have the appropriate vaccinations and documents, which can vary depending on your destination.

Travelling with your pet to an EU country

When the Brexit transition period came to an end in January 2021, the way in which we travel with our pets in Europe changed. Instead of the previous pet passport system, pets now need a new document, known as an animal health certificate. Animal health certificates must be signed by an Official Vet within 10 days of travel.

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

  • a microchip
  • a valid rabies vaccination
  • an animal health certificate (unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland)
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

Travelling with your pet outside the EU 

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, you’ll need to get an export health certificate (EHC). An EHC checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you’re travelling to. You’ll also need to complete an export application form (EXA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales.

The export health certificate and the export application form for each country and pet will tell you how to apply. You must nominate an official vet who will be sent the EHC. They’ll check your pet has met the correct health and identification requirements before you travel.

Where do pets travel on the plane and will they be comfortable?

Pets travel in the hold of the aircraft, in a special area that is heated and pressurised. The dogs and cats who fly have to travel in crates to make sure that pets are safe and comfortable when travelling.

PetAir UK builds their own crates that go above and beyond the minimum safety guidelines. Their crates are made of wood in order to minimise noise and temperature variation. The crates are lined with veterinary bedding and incontinence pads to ensure that the pets can be as comfortable as possible.  

Need more info?

If you have any questions about travelling with your pets, contact the helpful and knowledgeable team at PetAir UK, they will be able to advise you on all aspects of your move and the process of getting your pets ready for travel.